Hello everybody, my name is Dr Liv Kraemer and I’m a dermatologist in Zurich, Switzerland with focus on skin aging, skincare and skin food. Sometimes we doctors have on-calls, and we are sleeping badly. Hence I always wondered why my skin got flaky and I gained weight. So I asked myself: Can a lack of sleep cause rush, skin aging or even acne? What happens during your sleep? How to get your beauty sleep? What happens if you do not get enough sleep? Is beauty sleep a myth? Can a good night’s sleep enhance beauty? Sleep deprivation – I will tell you what happens with your skin when you don’t get enough sleep. Read my post below:
Skin and sleep – a connection for skin aging?
Smooth and youthful skin? Beauty sleep is a real thing! Several studies prove that people who sleep 8 hours a night appear more attractive and healthier. Sleep deprivation does show up as a discernible change in facial appearance. A good night’s sleep can enhance the beauty and is very important for your health.
What happens during your sleep?
- The first 3 hours are the most important. Why? In adults, the first part of sleep is characterised by increased growth hormone release. It helps to restore and regenerate skin and tissue.
- In the middle part, the next 3 hours, your sleep shortens. You are now in the REM phase. The melatonin level increases. This hormone works like a skin-protecting antioxidant.
- The end phase of your sleep is essential as the skin recovers the most. Your muscles are relaxing, and the temperature of the skin lowers.
What happens to you if you don’t get enough sleep.
Researchers from the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm published in the Journal of Internal Medicine a nice article about sleep. They found out that in sleep reduction the leptin levels are reduced. Leptin is a hormone which is linked to the hunger feeling. They are produced mostly in the fat cells. If its level is increased, you feel no hunger anymore.
But with lack of sleep, they found that the hormone is reduced. Therefore, hunger is markedly increased. In other words: you are hungry when you are tired! With an increased appetite comes another problem – you gain weight. Hence sleeping less may be related to (abdominal/belly) obesity. In the end, also the inflammation levels are increased and give you the reddish irritated skin the morning after. But when you are exhausted you also tend to act impulsive – try to calm down.
Sleeping only a few hours a night increases the appearance of wrinkles and causes bad skin condition. Working until late nights, late dinners and lack of sleep? The results are loose skin, under eye shadows wrinkles and a dull appearance. Your skin aging increases.
If your sleep deprivation continues over several weeks, the problems worsen. Your body can’t work the right way!
How to get your beauty sleep?
First, create your beauty sleep routine. Go to bed always at the same time. Drink a tea before you go to the bed and take a warm shower before.
Second, try to sleep on your back. All other sleeping positions create wrinkles. For example, if you sleep on your side, you produce extra wrinkles by rubbing your face into the pillow.
Third, do not eat 2-3 hours before bed. Try also to avoid too salty food. It dehydrates your body. Suddenly your body looks for water and will get puffy eyes.
Forth, create a skincare routine. Always wash your face. Have a look on my Video how to wash the face the right way. Also remove your make-up and use some ingredients like fruit acids or retinol.
Fifth, try to use white 100% cotton bedsheets. You can wash them hot and remove all mile and other bugs, which might create allergic reactions and worsen your breathing. It also removes the bacteria which might create acne. Watch my video how to avoid acne while sleeping, click here.
Six, tight your hair up to avoid acne. Do not put them too tight as it might cause hair loss. But keep them out of your face as it can cause pimples due to oil and hair products.
What I recommend before going to bed:
- Don’t watch TV in bed before sleeping! Try to calm down instead to stay awake.
- Turn off your cell phone! The artificial blue light emitted from electronic devices disturbs you and makes you restless. A sleeping mask can help you fall asleep. But do not forget to wash the mask regular!
- Do yoga before sleeping! Yoga reduces stress and makes you happy.
- Take a relaxing bath with bath oil. The oil turns into a nourishing milk when it hits the water and leaves the bathroom with a heavenly spa-like scent too.
- Go for a walk in the park before going to bed.
- Last but not least: Wash your face and remove your make-up before going to bed! watch my Youtube video to know how by clicking here.
Enough beauty sleep but still tired?
You get short of breath easily? You feel exhausted and tired? Iron deficiency could be to blame. Iron deficiency is the most common nutritional deficiency. This happens when your body has not enough iron to supply its needs. Iron is present in all cells in the human body and has several vital functions. It can lead to hair loss and fragile fingernails. But don’t worry there are solutions! Supplements from Biogena like MoFerrin can help you. For further information contact your doctor and make a blood test for iron and its storage “ferritin”.
If you would like to learn more about skin health, skin aging and beauty treatments, request a consultation. Click here for a personal consultation with Dr Liv.
Read more about healthy skin and follow me on my social media accounts:
Youtube! ➜ youtube.com/DrLiv
Facebook! ➜ facebook.com/DrLiv
Instagram! ➜ instagram.com/drliv/
Pinterest! ➜ pinterest.de/drlivkraemer/
Twitter! ➜ twitter.com/doctorliv/
Thanks for your support, maybe with a comment.